Happy Tuesday everyone!
So, today I am going to be talking about nutrition and fitness. I am by no means a licensed professional but I do have a lot of experience since I have dealt with an eating disorder and have gone on so many diets that I have lost count. Due to these unhealthy actions, I have finally realized what is actually healthy and what works for me and may work for you.
Dieting is not healthy, and starving yourself is not healthy. The only way to truly be healthy is to take care of your body, meet the needs it needs and continue to do this over the course of your life. Losing weight fast and then gaining even more back is not what you want. So, today I’m just going to go over some tips to help you gain more control over your health and make it simple.
- Drink water. Do not drink seltzer, do not drink soda, diet soda, or flavored drinks which have no sugar but are high in aspartame. Anything carbonated will leave you bloated. Pure water is the best drink for those trying to lose weight.
- Drink tea. Tea is something that will always be beneficial as long as you are making it fresh and not adding a ton of sweeteners. I think drinking tea can not only help with weight loss (green tea, oolong) but it can also slow you down if you are planning on reaching for something unhealthy. The process of making tea takes a bit so it will give you a chance to gather your thoughts and enjoy the moment.
- Aim to work out every day. I have been trying this method myself and if I aim to work out every day instead of specific days I will do more working out during the week. This is the case because even if one day I don’t feel like working out, I will be working out the next day and won’t feel bad if I miss one workout throughout the week.
- Keep one meal consistent throughout the week. I feel like this is a great thing to do because not only does it make your grocery bill less, it also helps you to not have to worry about this meal. I personally think breakfast is the best to keep consistent because time is not always available later in the day. If you eat a healthy breakfast you are also setting yourself up for success for the rest of the day because you have chosen a healthy meal and you aren’t going to want to start eating junk right away after.
- Try yoga/meditation in the afternoon. I can fully back up that this has been the best time for yoga/meditation in my day. I say this because prior to the afternoon we may have had a bumpy start, or a few bad moments already and we need time to clear ourselves of that tension before we start on the later part of our day. I feel doing yoga in the afternoon also makes me more productive in the evening as far as being on task and also doing an evening workout.
- Don’t compare/Let anyone influence your progress. So, it’s easy to hop on social media or flip through a magazine and compare yourself to others but this isn’t going to help you. Often in the past, I would go online and compare myself to other women or watch a movie and wish I had her figure but the truth is this isn’t about them and it isn’t about being a certain shape or size, it’s about getting healthy and living your life happily instead of miserable. You are doing this for you and never forget you are the reason you started, you are the one doing the work. No matter what anyone says, they aren’t you and you are the only one who knows how hard you are working so don’t let anyone’s opinions influence you.
- Go to bed earlier. This may seem like a tip everyone gives about everything, but it is true for weight loss. When you are on a normal schedule, your body will thank you. Sleeping lets your body restore the energy you so desperately need when you are exercising and being active during the day. I also know when I stay up for hours on end, I end up eating late at night and it’s usually something not healthy so I’ve made it a goal to go to sleep at a normal hour. So get some zzzs!
- Educate yourself. Learning about nutrition and fitness are so very important when you’re beginning a change of lifestyle. There are so many different ways people get healthy and one may not work for you but another may. My advice is to literally spend as much time as you possibly can to get informed about what is available to you and how your health can benefit from what is.
- Take it personally. As stated above, there is so much information about health and wellness that you will need to look at it as it is related to you. Don’t feel like you need to try a specific exercise or meal plan just because it says it will help you lose weight. You need to know what will and won’t work for you and even if that means changing very little, so be it. Every change you make counts but don’t ever feel pressured to live a certain way just because others are.
- Love yourself. Sometimes when we are not at a healthy weight we forget it’s okay. There’s often anxiety that comes with starting over, and we often look at our past and wonder how we got here but it’s life and it comes with living. There’s no perfect size, shape, weight, height, etc. We are all beautiful and all deserve love. If you don’t love yourself, you will never be able to change. Trust me, it has taken me almost ten years to recover from an eating disorder and I am only now seeing regardless of my size I love myself and you should too!
- Add protein to your meals in the form of tuna, nut butter, hummus, chia seeds, greek yogurt.
- Add spinach or kale to your smoothies
- Keep track of nutrients on an app or in a notebook
- If you’re craving chocolate, drink a hot chocolate or add a few dark chocolate chips to yogurt
- If you want juice but don’t want a spike in sugar, try adding a little to water and drinking that instead
- Keep a reusable water bottle in the fridge for workouts, it might inspire you to grab a healthier option if you see it in there and it will be ready for your next workout.
- Try popping some homemade popcorn and eating that instead of the ones covered in butter. You can use coconut oil for extra flavor.
- Don’t restrict! Make sure you’re eating enough and drinking enough. Your body will go into starvation mode if you do not have enough calories and you will gain more weight than you lost next time you decide to eat normally.
These are honestly things I know work, I have been dealing with losing and gaining weight my whole life but I can stand behind these tips. I hope some of them work for you! Leave some of your own in the comments if you feel like it, and I hope you all have a great rest of your day!